God's Masterpiece

God's Masterpiece
That's what our family is!


Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Surgery - BIG Success

Surgery went well on Monday, though much longer than we had anticipated. The operating room was running behind schedule so we had to wait an extra hour. Finally at 10:45am she was wheeled back for surgery. Dr. B said it would take at least 3 hours. Four hours later, a hospital volunteer checked in on them and was told they expected it to be another 30 minutes. That 30 minutes turned into over an hour. Finally, at about 4pm, over 5 hours later, the doctor came to visit with us and explain how things went.

Due to the 3 expanders, which is something newer he tried, it took much longer than he originally anticipated. All the skin had to be laid into place before it could all be stitched. He is extremely pleased with how it all went. They were able to get about 95% of the Nevus removed. All that is left is the small portion just under her left eye, the very tip of her nose (which is a very light spot) and bit in her left eye brow. Amazing.

She is quite swollen, including her eyes which are swollen shut and will be for another 2 days or so. She is dealing with it quite well, overall. She threw one little fit on Monday evening, saying eyes, eyes and I did my best to tell her right now she needed to keep the closed but she would be able to open them again. Entertainer her isn't easy, nothing keeps her attention for long - I pray the swelling subsides soon. She is a trooper though.

So where do we go from here? Well due to the way they had to bring the forehead skin down and twist it (had to keep it connected in the corner of her eye and nose for blood flow) down for the nose, she has an extra skin fold or two over her right eye. Therefore, we will have to go back to Chicago in 3-4 weeks for an out patient surgery where they will remove the extra fold and put her eyebrow back in its proper place. This time will allow the skin placed on her nose to grow it's own blood supply. I was told this procedure would take about 90 minutes or so. We will hopefully know that date later this week.

After that, she will be allowed to heal till around the first of the year. They will then take a graft of skin from behind one of her ears and graft it to the area under her left eye. Not sure what else is planed, was a lot to comprehend in one day.

There were a few things that I didn't quite expect but there were a lot of unknowns going into it. I hadn't anticipated all of the eye swelling, though it makes sense. I was also not expecting that we would have to return in a few weeks for another procedure. So I know we will have more swelling then but at least it will only be one eye.

Well here are pictures of how she looks, it's quite amazing when you look at the before pictures.

Angel & mom after recovery




Angel all propped up with pillows, resting.

This was her cue that she wanted another bite of applesauce.


After we got home yesterday evening.

13 comments:

Shelene said...

Wow! You have all been through so much! It's great to hear that the surgery was such a success! I can't get over how well she came out of it. I pray she will be pain-free and able to see her family soon. :)

Jenn said...

Such a beautiful, darling little girl! I'm glad to hear that the surgery went well. I'll be praying for quick healing!

Blessings,
Jenn (AWAA family)

Laura Ferry-Jimenez said...

thanks for the update - I'm sure you have your hands full. your family has been in our thoughts and prayers. :)

The Walrond Family said...

Wow!! Amazing the skill that God has given the doctors! Angel looks great considering all she has been through! Praying for quick healing and rest!

Matt Millard said...

Still as cute as they come! I think she looks amazing considering all she has been through. We are praying like crazy for the swelling to subside and the pain to ease very very soon! If there is anything you need just let us know!

Stacey said...

Oh, what a sweetie! I am so glad that they were able to get 95% on the first go around. I pray that she recovers as quickly as possible.

Karrie said...

Such a sweet baby.
Praying for a speedy recovery.
Bless her heart.

Kirk Goodwin said...

What a beautiful young lady! She's looking great. I remember all the swelling after our daughter's surgery but it goes down and they bounce back amazingly fast! God bless and our prayers will be with Angel and her family!

Anonymous said...

Tracy..Looking a the pictures is so amazing...I notice there aren't many stiches...How is it all held in place till she heals? Barb

Lisa A said...

Oh praise God she's ok and healing as well as can be expected. I pray, pray, pray she is comfortable and for your strength and wisdom in working through the next procedures and recovery time. What a blessing they can do this for her! She's precious!

Lisa a

Wife of the Pres. said...

Came over from AWAA SN group. I am so thankful the surgery was a big success.

Bless her heart though … your Angel and my S amaze me with their inner strength and perseverance to face multiple surgeries and just keep on going. Of course, we know it all comes from our Father who loves them so much!

What a precious Angel you do have!

Anonymous said...

i hope everything is well!!
cant wait ot see u guys
sooner the better are
you coming for christmas
this year hope so
cant wait to see the kids
♥-tori-♥
all love goes to you guyss

Wife of the Pres. said...

Tracy, After seeing your post on the AW yahoo group, I came to check on Angel. I am just amazed at her inner strength and at modern medicine.

Way to go Angel!!! What a trooper!!!

I wanted to know if might consider writing about Angel on the No Hands But Ours site. They have a link to "Family Stories" and I don't see any about children with Angel's SN. I have seen several children with her SN listed on the shared listing and individual agencies. I think this may be one of those needs that people don't explore more b/c they don't understand it and/or do not know where to turn for more information.

If you would be interested in sharing (you can remain anonymous if you wish or you can share your blog), please let me or Stefanie at NHBO know.

Thanks for continuing to share b/c I fell into that category mentioned above, but I have learned so much about this SN and feel like my eyes have been opened! Hugs to Angel!

Leslie (AWAA)